students of Sinhgad College of Architecture, Pune
were asked the following questions on a feed-back
- Do you think this exhibition tells you something
new about communication? How and what?
Do you think the paintings convey the meaning
effectively? Does the explanation
help or you think it is not necessary?
- What do you think you can do about some of the
issues raised by the paintings? How can you go
Any other general comments/your impression about
Do you think this exhibition tells you something
new about communication? How and what?
- Yes, definitely. It helps to awaken the people
and make them realise an issue.
The painting which were shown to us were something
which I didn’t know, so I can say that this
was something new for me.
- Yes. Actually we can get something new about
every kind of situation in the world. We also will
be able to know about relationships and traditions
of other people.
- It was good. Depicts the reality of the world.
- Yes, definitely I think so. I have found a new
and different medium of conveying your thoughts
and messages to others very efficiently. Because
for me, painting was just an art by which you create
something e.g. refresh yourself!
- Ya. They help us in understanding different
issues that are going around us.
Yes, it does tell us… It highlights the
parts we generally fail to focus upon although
we see it around us. May be after understanding
the paintings, the new generation awakens.
- Yes, sometimes people do not know do not know
how to communicate and this exhibition helps us
to understand how to communicate.
Yes, I think the exhibition tells something new
about communication…paintings, new ideas,
solving problems in society by just touching hearts
- A new way of communicating about social issues
and daily life with people
- Yes. The paintings do give a good view of the
- The social and political affairs are discussed
in your paintings in a better manner.
Has been an excellent experience. Today people
are becoming narrow-minded and don’t take
into consideration the true aspects.
- Yes. It tells us but only a few people are bothered
to see the painting. While all have tendency to
see painting as a beautiful picture. So, please
convey it as simple as possible.
- Yes, it does. Conveying a social message or
a bad or a good condition or conduct of things
happening all around the world. We can talk to
the world through paintings, no language as such
- The paintings exhibit effective communication.
I felt each painting provided curiosity and knowledge.
Yes, it actually explains what is going on in
the world. The things which we are actually ignoring
are beautifully explained. The real life…
- Yes, it tells us to see things deeply rather
- Some of them communicate, many create confusion
- Ya, this makes us aware of all the issues which
we already know but forget due to our busy lifes.
- Yes, communication can be possible through art
and painting. The boundary goes far away and tells
us about social aspects and different societies
- Yes. Paintings talk better than words. Words
fall very short to explain each and everything
but painting can talk of very new things.
- Something that is very true about the people
that rather than texts, poems. Pictures or paintings
can easily convey the message which is the main
- Yes, the message about problematic world is
- The creativity is expressing things without
saying. It is a communication of minds.
Do you think the paintings convey the meaning effectively?
Does the explanation
help or you think the it is not necessary?
- Depends upon the individual. Painting conveys
the meaning if you are bothered to understand.
- Painting conveyed 60%, caption conveyed 30%,
explanation gave the hidden rest 10%
- Some of those conveyed the messages on their
own but some of them really needed the explanation
like – that showing five people and the wounded
Some of the paintings do convey the meaning but
some need a bit of an explanation. Many times
we understand the painting one way but the painter’s
view must be something else.
- Painting itself conveys the meaning ,but yes,
the explanation helped a lot.
- Yes, explanation is very helpful
- Some of the paintings need some explanation
- Yes, because for people not familiar with the
background, explanation is necessary
- Yes. The paintings convey meaning effectively
because they speak more than words. Still, sometimes
explanation is necessary.
- Explanation is necessary, not all paintings
- Some explanations not to the mark
- Yes. The explanation helps to understand the
idea behind a painting.
- It can convince a person effectively and actually
make us think about our artwork.
- Paintings are effective but sometimes explanation
- Well, most of them do convey the meaning except
for one in which the woman is siting among the
sphinx…it is not self-explanatory.
The meaning behind most of the paintings is conveyed
Ya, explanation helps effectively…
No, the paintings don’t need an explanation.
We know the meaning by looking at them
- Yes, they convey the meaning effectively. But
definitely the explanation is also necessary.
In some paintings I was not able to understand
the meaning without an explanation.
- Explanation is necessary
- Yes, they do up to a certain point but some
paintings like prison or a past need an explanation
- Every painting should be explained properly
to convey the message
- Yes I think the paintings convey the meaning
eectively and explanations help us to think about
subjects you have taken up
- Explanation is necessary, because, paintings
can be defined or explained in many ways, as each
person has different meanings from a single word.
- Yes, because every point or line has a lot of
meanings and the meaning changes according to their
position. So it is necessary to know what the idea
behind the drawing is because the idea changes
from person to person.
- Somewhere it conveys, somewhere it lacks
- Emphasis on the basic problems represented graphically
is a must
- Explanation does help in focusing on the major
criteria of the painting
What do you think you can do about some of the issues raised by the paintings?
How can you go about it?
- As many of them are social issues we need to
do something. Like we can lessen the difference
in the society formed between classes.
- According to me, if I can do something about
it, I will surely do it.
- Act against it, be a part of the world
- I think I will also try to do the same thing
if I get time
I agree that the issues raised are most prominent
in today’s world but at the same time, ignored.
But I still wish for a few positive paintings.
- By making it aware to everybody
- We can be more understanding and careful
- Issues have created awareness in our minds
- Discussions and making people aware of these
issues will help to bring out fruitful solutions
While we paint should we consider social aspects
or cultural events or it shouldn’t have any
- Just picking similar topics and choosing appropriate
I can definitely try to watch the things more
carefully and try to understand what’s behind
- We can help by inculcating the problems you
mention in us?
Think henceforth, will use or heads…to
see the overall picture and be not only materialistic
- Yes, I can do something about some of the issues
raised by the paintings
- We can discuss with people and get some solutions
- mass communication
- can try and think in a broader manner about
We can only see, hear and go because all have
their private life…no one is really bothered
about it…We can, only if we really really
stick to the issue
The one which says building walls around oneself
and the one with a modern woman depressed – things
can be done – be broad-minded, open and social
after a certain age
other general comments/your impression about
- Formal training could have decreased focus on
- Truly eye-opening and thought-embarking…however,
I wish there were a few more paintings with a positive
feed-back on humanity
I think more topics like poverty, sati, child-marriages,
casteism…could be covered
- It is good and explanatory
- The paintings are really good
- Excellent work!
- Mr Purandare, Sir, you are very talented and
- Good and nice but intellectuals are always helpless
- Sir, it is nice to see that you do not listen
to the so-called professionals and do what you
- Good work, inspirational, good ideas, not very
- Awesome paintings
- Awesome work done to open eyes not only of youth
but seniors too
- No comment, as all the issues were perfectly
- Good job, Sir!! Thank you!!
- The paintings are too good, his explanations
are also good
- Just fantastic!! No words for such great work
- Your observation and thinking are amazing and
you try to put it in your painting in a better
- You try to put realistic things in a way that
people will be concerned about it
- All the paintings are excellent
Ya, it really is fascinating work, as II basically
liked it very much. He should convey his message
in form of painting by editing his own book of
painting to whole world. He can title it as ‘NEW
I like Sir’s work a lot. The colours especially.